December: What is Grade 2 studying?
Module 1: Schools and Community
Unit Summary: Students are studying the similarities and differences in schools across the world. School is a place designed for students to build knowledge and skills, foster character and relationships and create high quality work.
- Writing in response to The Invisible Boy
- Reading and writing about schools around the world
- Speaking and listening about schools around the world
Module 2: Fossils Tell of Earth’s Changes
Unit Summary: In this module, students build their literacy and science skills as they engage in a study of fossils. Students will learn what fossils are and what paleontologists do.
- Retelling of The Dog that Dug for Dinosaurs and answering selected response questions
- Students read and answer questions from the article “Digging Up the Past.”
- Students write a narrative from the point of a view of a paleontologist about the moment they discovered a fossil.
Module 4: Addition and Subtraction Within 200 with Word Problems to 100
- add and subtract multiples of 10
- represent subtraction
- solve one- and two-step word problems within 100
- use number bonds to break apart three-digit minuends
Common Core Learning Standards:
2.OA.A.1 - Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one- and two-step word problems involving situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing, with unknowns in all positions, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
2.NBT.B.5 - Fluently add and subtract within 100 using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
2.NBT.B.6 - Add up to four two-digit numbers using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.
2.NBT.7 - Add and subtract within 1000, using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction; relate the strategy to a written method. Understand that in adding or subtracting three-digit numbers, one adds or subtracts hundreds and hundreds, tens and tens, ones and ones; and sometimes it is necessary to compose or decompose tens or hundreds.
2.NBT.B.8 Mentally add 10 or 100 to a given number 100-900, and mentally subtract 10 or 100 from a given number 100-900.
2.NBT.9 Explain why addition and subtraction strategies work, using place value and the properties of operations.
Second Grade Homework, What to expect?
Homework is a crucial part of your child's active learning process and essential to their academic progress. Please make sure that all homework is completed daily.