March: What is Grade 5 studying?
Unit Summary: In this module, students read to build knowledge about the rainforest and analyze the author's craft in narrative writing to build proficiency in writing first person narratives about the rainforest.
- Students research to determine ways they can help the rainforest and discuss their findings, including the challenges with implementing those ideas, in a Science Talk.
- Students read a new excerpt of The Most Beautiful Roof in the World aloud and write a literary analysis essay to answer the question: "What does the use of concrete language and sensory detail help you understand about the rainforest?"
- Students plan and draft first person narratives to build out a scenario from The Most Beautiful Roof in the World.
Unit Summary: In this module, students consider the factors that contribute to the success of professional athletes as leaders of social change. They read about a number of professional athletes who have been leaders of social change, beginning with Jackie Robinson.
- Students create a poster highlighting a personal quality necessary to be an effective leader of social change.
Module 5: Addition and Multiplication with Volume and Area
- calculate volume
- find the total volume of solid figures
- find the area of rectangles with whole-by-mixed and whole-by-fractional number side lengths
- draw, analyze, and classify two-dimensional shapes
Common Core Learning Standards:
5.NF.B.4 - Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication to multiply a fraction or whole number by a fraction.
5.NF.B.6 - Solve real world problems involving multiplication of fractions and mixed numbers, e.g., by using visual fraction models or equations to represent the problem.
5.MD.C.3 - Recognize volume as an attribute of solid figures and understand concepts of volume measurement.
5.MD.C.4 - Measure volumes by counting unit cubes, using cubic cm, cubic in, cubic ft, and improvised units.
5.MD.5 - Relate volume to the operations of multiplication and addition and solve real world and mathematical problems involving volume.
5.G.B.3 - Understand that attributes belonging to a category of two-dimensional figures also belong to all subcategories of that category. For example, all rectangles have four right angles and squares are rectangles, so all squares have four right angles.
5.G.B.4 - Classify two-dimensional figures in a hierarchy based on properties.
The web sites below are fun and educational. Please encourage your child to practice math in a fun and creative way. We hope you will explore these websites, which will be helpful for you and your children:
Great and safe search engines for children:
Helps children practice and strengthen math skills:
Wonderful sites to research social studies and world events:
Fifth Grade Homework, What to expect?
Homework is a crucial part of your child's active learning process and essential to their academic progress. Please make sure that all homework is completed daily.
Tips: "Use these examples to help you check your writing."
* The first letter of each sentence should begin with a capital letter.
Ruth bought new blue sneakers. The sign blew away in the storm. Did she try out for soccer last year?
* The pronoun / is always spelled with a capital letter.
Ahmed and I ate lunch together.
Sheila and I went swimming.
I feed my goldfish every morning.
* If the subject of a sentence is a singular noun, the verb should also be singular.
Jeremy bakes oatmeal cookies. Tonya paints with watercolors. The chair rocks back and forth.
* If the subject is plural, the verb should also be plural.
Vidya and Joanna study science. Women play the drums in our band. The planets rotate around the sun.
* Every sentence ends with punctuation in the form of a period, question mark, or exclamation point.
My friend is a good baseball player. Where did Jamie find her keys? Don't run across the street!
* Commas separate words in a series.
We like to swim, hike, and play basketball. The farmer raises goats, sheep, and chickens. Customers can choose water, milk, orange juice, or apple juice.