December: What is Kindergarten studying?
Module 1: Toys and Play
Unit Summary: In this module students will build their literacy and citizenship skills as they engage in a study of toys and play.
- Responding to Text: Thinking about Illustrations and Speaking
- Writing about the Classroom Toys We Prefer
- Interviewing and writing about a classmate’s favorite toy
Module 2: Weather Wonders
Unit Summary: In this module, students build their literacy and science skills as they engage in a study of the weather. The module begins with a story about a young girl named Sofia who is curious about the weather. Sofia wants to learn more about how she can be prepared for any type of weather, and she asks the kindergarten students to help her in this quest.
- Independent writing about weather
- Identifying story elements in One Hot Summer Day
- Reflecting on My Weather Story
Module 3: Comparison of Length, Weight, Capacity, and Numbers to 10
- compare length and height using taller than and shorter than
- compare weight using heavier than, lighter than, and the same as
- compare volume using more than, less than, and same as
- compare using more than, fewer than, same as
Common Core Learning Standards:
K.CC.C.6 - Identify whether the number of objects in one group is greater than, less than, or equal to the number of objects in another group, e.g., by using matching and counting strategies.
K.CC.7 – Compare two numbers between 1 and 10 presented as written numerals.
K.MD.A.1 – Describe measurable attributes of objects, such as length or weight. Describe several measurable attributes of a single object.
K.MD.A.2 - Directly compare two objects with a measurable attribute in common, to see which object has "more of"/"less of" the attribute, and describe the difference. For example, directly compare the heights of two children and describe one child as taller/shorter.